The York County Tourism Grant Committee approved $126,832 in total funding for eight new projects or events submitted earlier this year during the second and final round of the 2023 York County Tourism Grant Program. This program supports initiatives that build upon York County’s billion-dollar tourism industry by awarding funds to projects and events that attract visitors outside a 50-mile radius of York County, enhance the visitor experience, and/or create positive economic impact through overnight hotel stays.
These eight applications were ratified by the Explore York Board of Directors on October 5, 2023. The next grant round will accept applications in early January 2024.
“We are thrilled with the quality of tourism-focused applications this program continues to receive. The committee reviews a variety of lengthy applications during the two annual grant cycles and is tasked with vetting applications with potential to support tourism initiatives and create economic impact across the entire County,” said Laura Wagner, President of Explore York. “These eight projects add to the already $5 million in funding the Tourism Grant Program has awarded since 2017."
The following round two 2023 grants were awarded:
- Racing Xtravaganza ($20,000) – Funds to market the 2024 motorsports expo, this funding will also support the American Cornhole League event, and the addition of the family-friendly Superhero experiences.
- Mason Dixon Fair ($20,000) – For purchase and installation of an updated LED sign at the Mason Dixon Fairgrounds entrance.
- White Rose Figure Skating Club ($20,000) – A two-year grant to grow and maintain the Keystone State Games figure skating competition in York, PA.
- Northern York County Historical and Preservation Society ($20,000) – To implement a comprehensive tourism marketing plan for the new Eichelberger Distillery at Dill’s Tavern.
- Susquehanna Folk Music Society ($20,000) – Funds awarded to support the addition of a Friday evening headliner performance, and the Saturday and Sunday headliners at this annual festival.
- Hanover Area YMCA ($5,000) – Funding to develop event collateral and advertise the event to increase out-of-area participation for Snack Town Run Fest.
- Parliament Arts Organization ($20,000) – Designated funding to market and promote the new Royal Square Mural Park to York County visitors and continue to promote York County as an arts and culture destination.
- Hanover Area Historical Society ($1,832) – Marketing funds awarded for the printing and distribution of collateral to support the historical society.
The 2023 round two application window closed July 15, 2023. Round two applications had no minimum request amount but had a maximum request cap of $20,000. All applications require a 25 percent cash or in-kind match and must provide post-grant reports no later than 90 days following project completion.
The next window for grant applications opens early January 2024. Round one applications have no maximum request cap but have a minimum request of $5,000. When timely opportunities arise, the Grant Committee entertains funding requests outside of the program’s regular schedule.
The York County Tourism Grant Committee for this round was comprised of Eric Menzer, President and General Manager of the York Revolution, 92nd District Legislative Aide Dora Polk, York County Economic Alliance President and CEO Kevin Schreiber, RKL Partner and Explore York Board Treasurer Rob Berkebile, Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce President Gary Laird, York County Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans’ Court Bryan Tate, and York County Chief Financial Officer Tyler Chronister.
Additional program requirements and restrictions are listed here. Questions about the application process may be directed to Elizabeth (Waite) Fisher, Grant Program Manager at Explore York, Elizabeth@YorkPA.org or 717-852-9675, ext. 113.
More information about Explore York:
The Explore York Tourism Grant Program provides all applicants equal opportunity for funding consideration and does not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, caste, or creed.
Explore York’s mission is to maximize tourism expenditures and their economic impact in York County, PA, through comprehensive tourism sales and marketing programs. Explore York’s vision is for a York County where tourism is recognized for the value of its economic impact and its role in raising the profile of York County as a sought-after destination. For more information on Explore York County, PA, and the destination, call 1-888-858-9675 or visit YorkPA.org.