York County History Center -- Colonial Complex (Gates House, Plough Tavern & Colonial Court House)
157 W Market St, York, PA 17401
Discover Colonial Life at the 1741 Golden Plough Tavern, General Horatio Gates House and Colonial Courthouse. One of our most popular York County museums, the Colonial Complex encompasses four historic buildings located downtown. Your 45- to 60-minute guided tour will explore York County’s role during the American Revolutionary War and everyday life and culture during the 18th century.
Built in 1741, the Golden Plough Tavern served as a source of news and information for travelers and locals alike and showcases daily colonial life.
The General Horatio Gates House (c. 1751) reflects an upper class English home of the late 18th century, highlighting the stay of American General Horatio Gates during the winter of 1777-1778.
You will also visit the reconstructed Colonial Courthouse that highlights the story of the Second Continental Congress when they worked out of York during the winter of 1777-1778, and adopted the Articles of Confederation.
The Barnett Bobb Log House, built in 1812 and relocated to the Colonial Complex, is currently used during programs for artisan demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Open April through November for guided tours.
This business is a participant of our YoCo Arts & Culture Trail!
- Monday Hours: Peak & Off Peak: Closed
- Tuesday Hours: Guided Tour & Peak: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Off Peak: Cl
- Wednesday Hours: Guided Tour & Peak: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Off Peak: Cl
- Thursday Hours: Guided Tour & Peak: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Off Peak: Cl
- Friday Hours: Guided Tour & Peak: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Off Peak: Cl
- Saturday Hours: Guided Tour & Peak: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Off Peak: Cl
- Sunday Hours: Peak & Off Peak: Closed