If there’s one bummer about the 2020 winter holidays, it’s that you likely won’t be able to exchange gifts with as many people in your life. Without office parties, festive soirees, or large family gatherings, you might be feeling like your “nice” list is looking a bit slim this year. That means for the people you are giving presents to, this is the year to make it count — no more generic knick-knacks from big box stores! We urge you to shop local, and to take the extra time to find thoughtful gifts that bring a little extra dose of cheer at the end of a rough year.
And nothing says “’tis the season to be jolly” quite like a bottle of local wine, craft spirits, or beer! There’s no better place to find fun boozy gifts than the Good Libations Trails® in York County, Pennsylvania, and neighboring regions. No matter your budget or the giftee’s taste, you’re bound to find something unique and delicious among the Trails’ three-dozen-plus members, including family-owned vineyards, historic breweries, and Prohibition-era distilleries.
Many of the members offer safe online ordering and seasonal and limited-edition products for the holiday season. Bonus: A number of the wineries and distilleries along the trail offer shipping across the U.S., meaning you can spread the York County goodness to loved ones living in different states! Here are some of our top picks for gifting on the York County Good Libations Trails:
Open since 1975, this is one of the state’s oldest operating wineries! It grows eight types of grapes on 12.5 acres of beautiful farmland in Orrtanna, PA, and operates out of a historic bank barn on the property.
Looking for other ideas? Pick up a gift certificate, or check out the on-site gift shop at the Farm Winery for hoodies, knit caps, tee shirts, and an assortment of wine glasses and tumblers, magnets, and ornaments. You can also find locally made candies, jellies, jams, and crackers.
- How to shop:
- You can shop online through Adam’s County Winery’s website for a great selection of wines, including Rebel Red and Tears of Gettysburg, two of the winery’s core sweet blends. Shipping is available to 11 states and the District of Columbia.
- Or, call in an order for contact-less curbside pickup at the Farm Winery, seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. In-person shopping is also available at the Gettysburg Wine Shop on Wednesday through Sunday.
- A selection of their wines are also available in 22 local Giant Martin’s grocery stores, Kennie’s Markets in Spring Grove and Littlestown, and Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores throughout the state. Use this store locator to find a retailer near you.
Farm Winery: 251 Peach Tree Rd., Orrtanna, PA; (717) 334-4631; 25 Chambersburg St., Gettysburg; (717) 334-1381.
Allegro Wine Boutique
This winery, with four retail locations throughout the area, was founded by brothers John and Tim Crouch in the mid-1970s and released its first commercial vintage in 1980. Throughout its history, it has won numerous awards for its classical-style wines.
Our gift picks: For wine nerds, try the N.V. Skin Chardonnay, an “orange” wine with formidable texture and structure. Allegro’s spiced sweet red, Fusion, is a lovely option for anyone who enjoys mulled wine.
Looking for other ideas? Gift cards are available at any of Allegro’s locations, and e-gift cards can be purchased through its website. Gifts, like high-quality corkscrews, wine glasses, and Allegro-branded merch, are also available here.
- How to shop:
- All of Allegro’s products can be purchased through its online shop (orders from outside of PA or MD should shop here). Explore a wide array of reds, whites, sparkling wines, sweet wines, and gift sets. Mix and match any 12 bottles for free shipping; otherwise, shipping is $5 for 6 to 11 bottles and $10 for five bottles or fewer. Allegro ships to Pennsylvania and 37 other states.
- If you’re ordering locally, enjoy curbside pickup or local home delivery. Allegro’s retail locations are also open daily for socially-distanced in-store shopping. Use its finder tool to find other outlets, like grocery and convenience stores, where Allegro’s products are sold.
3475 Sechrist Rd., Brogue, PA; (717) 927-9148; 4069 Vineyard Rd., Stewartstown, PA; (717) 501-1413; 11 W. Main St., Strasburg, PA; (484) 714-9704; Olde Tollgate Village, 2549 S. Queen St., York, PA; (717) 741-3072.
Brothers Craig and Chris Cassel are the fifth generation in their family to work this piece of fertile land in Hummelstown. The five-acre vineyard produces six varieties of high-quality grapes: Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Vidal Blanc, Concord, and Niagara.
Our gift picks: For red wine fans, snag a bottle of Winners Circle Red Reserve, a Dry “Estate” blend of Chambourcin and Cab Franc grapes. It took home a silver medal in 2019 at the PA State Farm Show Competition! For a seasonal treat, check out the Spiced Wine Kit, which comes tied up with a charming bow.
Looking for other ideas? Gift cards and merchandise are available at Cassel Vineyards’ tasting room. Branded swag can also be ordered online. The winery offers a wine club with three different tiers.
- How to shop:
- For shipping to PA and 34 other states, order numerous styles of wine and cider through Cassel’s online shop. Curbside pickup orders should be ordered by texting or calling (717) 533-2008. Special holiday deliveries within 15 miles of the winery are offered on Monday, Dec. 21. The tasting room is open for in-person shopping, Thursday through Sunday.
80 Shetland Dr. Hummelstown, PA; (717) 533-2008
This boutique winery, which father-daughter team Jeff and Alex Gormley opened in 2015, specializes in unique wines produced from various grapes and fruits. The grapes are grown, and the wine is made, on a six-acre farm in Heidelberg Township.
Our gift picks: White wine lovers will dig the Vignoles, a fruity dry white with tropical aromas. For Cab Sauv aficionados, try a bottle of cherry and blackberry-forward Midnight Rain.
Looking for other ideas? Gift cards and merchandise are offered. Seasonal offerings, like cranberry wine and special ciders, also make great gifts.
- How to shop:
932 Hill Top Drive S., Spring Grove, PA; (717)465-1283
There are so many more awesome places in and around York County where you can pick up fantastic boozy gifts for the upcoming holiday season. For a full list and more info about the various trails, head to Explore York’s website, or call (888) 858-YORK.