YORK, PA – Explore York is excited to announce the return of the York County Tourism Grant Program. Put on hold at the beginning of the COVID-19 Pandemic, this program has been sorely missed in York County over the past two years.
“We are thrilled to resume our mission of strengthening York County’s already solid tourism industry through the York County Tourism Grant Program,” said Eric Menzer, Chair of the York County Tourism Grant Committee and President of the York Revolution. “Since the formation of this grant program, the committee has awarded more than $2.5 million to recipients. Investing in our local tourism industry as we continue to recover from the events of the past two years is essential to the continued economic growth of our county.”
The first action taken by the York County Tourism Grant Committee was to evaluate the applications from the 2020 Round 1 application period. These applications were put on hold in March of 2020 due to the pandemic’s devastating effects on York County tourism. Eligible applicants were given the opportunity to update their applications to reflect the most recent information before being turned over to the committee for consideration. Of the 11 grant applications that were updated, five were approved by the committee and ratified by the Explore York Board of Directors on February 3, 2022.
The approved projects include:
- BAPS Motor Speedway: $25,000 to market “Adrenaline Made Here” to support three 2022 events.
- Crispus Attucks Association of York PA: $16,000 to fund the ongoing marketing and development of the Goodridge Freedom Center.
- Cultural Alliance of York County: $95,000 to fund a comprehensive cultural tourism marketing campaign.
In addition, two timely opportunity grants were approved:
- RRFT Enterprises: $45,797 to support a volleyball tournament in December 2022 that is estimated to bring in over $1 million dollars in economic impact to York County.
- Mid-Atlantic Women’s Motorcycle Rally Association: $10,000 to enhance visitor experience at the 2022 Rally. Benefits from the rally are donated to support women fighting cancer.
The 2022 Round One application window closed February 15, 2022. For this first round, applicants must request at least $2,500 and all grants require a 25 percent cash or in-kind match. There is no limit to the requested amount during the first round of grants for the year. The window for Round Two grant applications will open in Summer 2022 and have a request cap of $50,000.
This program offers an exciting way to reach new customers and build York County’s billion-dollar tourism industry. Excellent grant applications will feature projects that:
- Attract visitors beyond a 50-mile radius of York
- Enhance the visitor experience
- Create a positive economic impact through overnight stays
- Strengthen an existing attraction
Grant requirements and restrictions can be found at www.YorkPA.org. Questions about the application process may be directed to Elizabeth Waite, Grant Program Coordinator at Explore York, by emailing Elizabeth@yorkpa.org or calling 717-852-9675, ext. 113.
In addition to Menzer, the York County Tourism Grant Committee is comprised of State Representative Kate Klunk, York County Economic Alliance President and CEO Kevin Schreiber, RKL Partner and Explore York Board Treasurer Rob Berkebile, Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce Marketing and PR Manager Caitlin Johnson, York County Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans’ Court Bryan Tate, and County of York Pennsylvania Executive Director of Human Resources, Kristy Bixler.
Explore York’s Mission is to maximize tourism expenditures and their economic impact in York County, PA, through comprehensive tourism sales and marketing programs. Explore York’s Vision is for a York County where tourism is recognized for the value of its economic impact and its role in raising the profile of York County as a sought-after destination. For more information on Explore York, call 1-888-858-9675 or visit www.yorkpa.org.