June 6, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Chair, York County Tourism Grant Committee
717-801-4481 or email@example.com
Destination Marketing Director, York County Convention & Visitors Bureau
717-852-9675 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YORK COUNTY TOURISM GRANT COMMITTEE APPROVES FUNDING FOR 10 PROJECTS IN 2018 ROUND ONE
YORK, PA – The York County Tourism Grant Committee has approved $539,930 in total funding for 10 dynamic projects and events during the first round of 2018, continuing the surge of momentum the local tourism industry has seen over the past several years.
The York County Convention & Visitors Bureau Board of Directors ratified the projects on May 3, 2018 with several projects spanning over multiple years.
“We received 39 applications, totaling a request for $3,903,184 in 2018 Round One. The selected projects have the potential to grow tourism in all corners of York County,” said Eric Menzer, President of the York Revolution and Chair of the York County Tourism Grant Committee. “We continue to be impressed by the forward-thinkers who have found ways to leverage this valuable program to bring more visitors to our community regardless of the size of the grant award.”
The following projects were awarded grants:
- Appell Center for the Performing Arts: $40,000 to produce and promote shows to out-of-town customers in the Capitol Theatre.
- BAPS Motor Speedway: $30,000 to promote the USAC, All-Stars, and US Legend Dirt Nationals to out-of-town customers during the 2018 season.
- Borough of Spring Grove: $10,000 to increase the festival portion of the 2018 Smoke in the Grove BBQ Competition.
- CorkYork: $3,500 to produce and host the 2018 Summer Jam.
- Crispus Attucks Association of York Pennsylvania: $60,000 over three years (August 1, 2018 - $30,000; August 1, 2019 - $20,000; August 3, 2020 - $10,000) to increase hours of operation at the Goodridge Freedom Center and Underground Railroad Museum.
- Hanover Area Historical Society: $40,000 to renovate the Carriage House Museum.
- Heritage Hills Associates: $14,000 for the 2019 Pennsylvania Bus Association Booth Expense.
- Susquehanna Heritage Corp: $40,000 for the Susquehanna Riverlands Destination Development & Marketing.
- York County Agricultural Society: $152,430 over three years (June 1, 2020 - $50,810; June 1, 2021 - $50,810; June 1, 2022 - $50,810) to bid to host the USA Wrestling Cadet Duals in 2020 – 2022.
- York County Community Foundation: $150,000 for the York County and Downtown York Branding Initiative.
In addition to Menzer, the York County Tourism Grant Committee is comprised of Dave Hogg, Springwood Hospitality; Kevin Schreiber, York County Economic Alliance; Representative Kate Klunk; Emily Freiert, Hanover Chamber of Commerce; Rob Berkebile, RKL, LLP; and Commissioner Susan Byrnes.
The application process was converted to online in 2018 Round 1 with a user friendly grant application specific software program. The cloud-based program is efficient and allows users to access the system whenever and wherever they want and streamlines the review process.
The next application period opens on June 18, 2018 and will be for grant requests up to $10,000. The application process will close on August 1, 2018 and grant recipients will be announced on October 11, 2018. All recipients will be required to provide grant reports no later than 90 days after the project is completed. When timely opportunities arise, the Grant Committee will also entertain funding requests outside the normal deadlines. All grant applicants must provide a 25 percent cash or in-kind match.
Registration, requirements and restrictions can be found at www.yorkpa.org/AboutUs. Questions about the application process may be directed to Denise Restuccia, Community Partnership Manager at the York County CVB, by emailing email@example.com or calling 717-852-9675, ext.113.
About the York County Convention & Visitors Bureau
The York County Convention & Visitors Bureau’s mission is to maximize tourism expenditures and their economic impact in York County, PA, through comprehensive tourism sales and marketing programs. The York County CVB’s vision is for a York County where tourism is recognized for the value of its economic impact and its role in raising the profile of York County as a sought-after destination. Tourism generates significant positive economic impact across York County. According to Tourism Economics report, The Economic Impact of Travel in Pennsylvania: Tourism Satellite Account Calendar Year 2016, visitors spent $973.6 million in York County in 2016 and during that same year, the industry employed 7,912 people around the county. For more information on the York County Convention & Visitors Bureau, call 1-888-858-9675 or visit www.yorkpa.org.